Monthly Archives: October 2014
“For centuries the church has confronted the human community with role models of greatness. We call them saints when what we really often mean to say is ‘icon,’ ‘star,’ ‘hero,’ ones so possessed by an internal vision of divine goodness that they give us a glimpse of the face of God in the center of the human. They give us a taste of the possibilities of greatness in ourselves.”
— Joan D. Chittister in A Passion for Life
“Keep in mind that our community is not composed of those who are already saints, but of those who are trying to become saints. Therefore let us be extremely patient with each other’s faults and failures.”
— Mother Teresa quoted in No Greater Love edited by Becky Benenate and Joseph Durepos
Our October GCW “Open Table” prayer service/potluck is this coming Sunday, October 12 beginning at 4pm in the ministry building at Holy Faith Catholic Church. All are welcome!
We will gather around 4, and begin the prayer service at 4:15. The potluck will begin around 5pm. Folks are welcome to attend just the prayer service or the potluck, or both. Our theme this month is “Make Me A Channel Of Your Peace: Celebrating St. Francis.”
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
October 1, 2014
Dear Friends of GCW,
Today is a rather bittersweet anniversary. One year ago today we were re-opening the Green House for a new year. It was quite a year, full of blessings and miracles, but a challenging year as well. As we have previously shared, this past summer it became apparent that the Green House could not continue as it was, and it closed in August. However, we are beginning a new year, and a new chapter, exploring new ways of continuing on as a community together. We hope you will join us for this journey, and help us see if we can keep the flame of the Gainesville Catholic Worker alive.
Below is some information about our activities being planned for October. Our most immediate need is for volunteers to help prepare and serve a meal at GRACE Marketplace this Saturday, October 4. See below for more details, and contact Beth Hinrichs at email@example.com for more information.
· Saturday, October 4, 4:15 PM—Serving Dinner at GRACE Marketplace: Individuals will be preparing corn bread and chili in their homes and meeting at GRACE at 4:15 in order to begin serving at 4:30pm. Contact Beth Hinrichs at firstname.lastname@example.org for recipes and more details.
· Sunday, October 12, 4:00 PM—“Open Table” Prayer Service and Potluck Dinner: Our activities as a Gainesville Catholic Worker community are anchored by a monthly prayer service and potluck on the 2nd Sunday of each month in the ministry building of Holy Faith Catholic Church, 747 NW 43rd Street, Gainesville FL 32607 (the ministry building is the first building on your left as you enter from NW 43rd Sreet). All are welcome—you need not be a donor, supporter or volunteer with GCW to participate. We begin gathering around 4pm, and start the prayer service around 4:15. We then share a light potluck supper together, usually beginning around 5pm. You are welcome to attend just the prayer service or just the potluck if you prefer. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information or just to let us know to watch for you.
· Saturday, October 18, 8:30 AM-12:00PM—Microfarm Workday: Black Acres Microfarm (BAM), owned and run by two of our community members Jade Allen and Lynn Chacko, has been a special part of the Gainesville Catholic Worker for some time now. Food produced on the farm will be used for our GRACE meals, and donated to places that need it, like GRACE, Catholic Charities, etc. Come out and enjoy a Saturday morning in the fresh air helping on the farm, which is very centrally located in the heart of Gainesville. Contact Jade Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and/or directions to BAM.
· Sunday, October 19, 2:00-3:00 PM—Visit to GRACE Marketplace: If you have never visited GRACE Marketplace (Gainesville’s new one-stop center to serve people who are homeless), here is a great opportunity. Some members of our GCW Community are going with one of the local JustFaith groups to tour GRACE. All are welcome. Contact email@example.com for more details.
· GRACE Women’s Group: The other project that some members of the GCW community are in the process of organizing is a Women’s Group at GRACE Marketplace. Details are still being firmed up, but if you are interested in participating and/or supporting this project, contact Sr. Marlene Payette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
QUOTATION OF THE MONTH:
What we would like to do is change the world–make it a little simpler for people to feed, clothe and shelter themselves as God intended them to do. And to a certain extent, by fighting for better conditions, by crying out unceasingly for the rights of the workers, of the poor, of the destitute–the rights of the worthy and the unworthy poor in other words, we can to a certain extent change the world; we can work for the oasis, the little cell of joy and peace in a harried world. We can throw our pebble in the pond and be confident that its ever widening circle will reach around the world…
We repeat, there is nothing that we can do but love, and dear God–please enlarge our hearts to love each other, to love our neighbor, to love our enemy as well as our friend.
–Dorothy Day, from “Love is the Measure” The Catholic Worker, June 1946, 2.
The GCW Crew